Thursday, March 26, 2009

We found a house

We are no longer homeless in Germany. We signed a rental contract on a house today. It’s a large house with 5 bedrooms with 2 ½ baths on 3 floors. It’s a duplex within easy drive (short distance) to both my job and Toms. We didn’t get a free standing house (single) but this is the next best thing.
I didn’t realize how hard it would be to find a rental house in this area of Germany. There are more renters than houses. I have found that not all landlords and not all real estate agents are honest with you. We’ve had 2 agents that said they had free stand houses that ended up being houses with the landlord living in the basement (we asked before viewing and weren’t told the truth). We’ve been showed a house that should have been condemned, and Tom looked at one that could be a TV Show on “Most Haunted”.
We wanted to see a single house on Friday (we liked the outside) when it went on the market, but were told the first viewing would be on Tuesday and we were be the first to see it. WRONG. On Tuesday I called to confirm the time for a viewing on the house, I was told that the house had been rented. I asked how it had been rented when the agent said we would be the first to see it. No comment from the agent. How depressing!
So I contacted a different agency and left a message with what we were looking for. We are not picky, just wanted something decent. A house with 3 or 4 bedrooms large enough for our American furniture, also must have internet connections (not always available in older homes) and two off street parking (in Germany they park on the street and you play dodge car to get around them). Shouldn’t be hard to find should it. The agent I talked to said she would have to check (she’s new).
I really didn’t expect anything, but it didn’t hurt to ask.
In the afternoon a different agent (from the same office) called me back. Stephan said he didn’t have a free standing house but he had a duplex that he felt met our requirements. He said it was a very nice duplex and if we saw it he knew we’d like it. I’ve heard that one before, but set up a time to view the house after Tom got off work.
Stephan didn’t lie. The duplex is very nice. Just a few years old, LARGE rooms, 3 floors, has a one car garage with parking space for an additional car. Nice yard and storage area. Great laundry room. There is a half bath downstairs and a full bath on each of the next two floors. I’ve had bedrooms smaller than the bathrooms. Tom and I looked at each other and then told Stephan we wanted the house. No photos yet. Here's a "Google Map" photo.
The only drawback is that it is a duplex and the landlord’s sister lives next door. Stephan explained that in Germany the duplex is not the same as in America. Law requires that the house have fire proofing between the houses and this is also sound proofing. Not sure if that will keep the neighbors from hearing Tom’s stereo, but he’ll have to learn to cut it down.
The best thing about this house is it empty! It seems that it was taken but the people forgot to tell the landlord they had a dog. The landlord didn’t want a dog to mess up his yard (or bother his sister). So we got the first viewing. No kids, no pets, a landlords dream.
So we get the keys Tuesday night (31 Mar) and our house hold goods will be delivered 2 April. Next week this time I’ll get to sleep in my own bed.
Poor Tom, as I start work on Monday 30 Mar, I won’t be able to help him with the delivery. I told him to put the living and dining room furniture as it was in our Texas home. To put the bedroom furniture in the bedrooms on the second floor. Then put all the rest of the boxes (mostly my knitting stuff) in the 2 bedrooms on 3rd floor. It will take me months to empty the boxes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kinda cool. Can't wait to see pics