Monday, July 6, 2009

More about PARIS


Observations:
Traffic in Paris has no rhyme or reason especially at “roundabouts”. There doesn’t seem to be any rules. No stop lights, no stop signs nor any yield signs, just a free for all. I watched in fascination as incoming traffic just drove in and traffic in the circle just continued on. I watched in horror as bike riders entered the fray! I held my breath as motor cycles just weaved in and out of the traffic. I haven’t even mentioned the buses! They just take the right away. The thing is… I didn’t see even one accident. How they managed to drive in Paris I’ll never know. But I know I’ll never drive there!
Now parking is another thing I couldn’t figure out. The parking is very limited so they just park bumper to bumper. I mean that literally. In many cases, there wasn’t so much as a few inches between the cars. How they parked and how they got out I couldn’t figure out. I meant to take a picture, but didn’t get around to it.

Eiffel Tower: It’s BIG. I mean really BIG. Much larger than I expected. Our USO tour guide (Kim) told us to get right in line as soon as we arrived, although it was 30 minutes before it opened. Good thing we got in line by 0830 as there was already a line forming. The ticket office opened at 9am. We waited in line about 30 minutes for tickets, then waited another 30 minutes to get the elevator to the 2nd floor and another 15 minutes to get the elevator to the top. Yes that was quite a wait, but well worth it. Luckily it wasn’t hot so the wait wasn’t too bad. C and I “Peopled Watched.” Lots of different nationalities. The view from the top was amazing. It was a clear day, so we could see the entire city. I took lots of photos and I still didn’t take enough. By the way, did you know there’s a toilet on the top level of the tower? It cost you 50cents (about 75 cents US)to use the toilet. I know I used it! 50 cents to Pee!

No comments: