Saturday, November 17, 2007

A best friend will
Walk miles and miles at a craft show
Wait and wait for you to find just the right gift
And still smile at your crazy choice.

Living in Texas so far away from my family and old friends has taught me something. Good friends are hard to find. I have had lots of friends in my life. After all we’ve lived in Spain, England, Wales, Iceland, Cuba, and stateside Virginia and Georgia. That’s a lot of territory. So I’ve had friends, but good friends are those you can call in the middle of the night when you car breaks down (not that it’s ever happened to me).

Best friends not only will come get you, they’ll stand by you in the rain and wait. Best friends will go to yarn shops, homemade gift shops, walk miles in craft shows just so you can find the right gift for your mother in law.

I’m so lucky. When I came back to Texas in 2002, I went to work in an office with a great bunch of people. One person stood out as the most friendly, the happiest and kindest person I’d ever met. Cath made me feel a member of the office right away. We soon picked up a friendship that is hard to explain.

Cath stood by me while I cried about my Dad’s illness. She’s the one that made me take weeks off work to fly back to Virginia 3 times in 6 months to visit Dad. I was able to be there for Mom when she needed me because Cath made sure I went when I needed to. Not sure if I would have had the strength to do it, if Cath hadn’t been on the other end of the phone to comfort me and remind me that Mom needed me to be strong.

Today Cath and I are going SHOPPING, not just any shopping. We are going to a HUGE craft show. For the last 3 years we’ve gone and shopped till we dropped. There are all likes of stuff there. I’m taking my camera so plan on photos in the next blog.

Wish the Cath/Kathy’s a great shopping/hunting trip. More to come

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KD-You sure know how to make a person cry. You are my "Sister" that I have never had. I enjoy our shopping trips & going to lunch together, I don't think there is ever a quiet moment when we get together. I'm glad you moved to Texas & came to my office to work. Love ya Sis!!!